Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Loihi

Back in the summer of 2006, I decided to spend some time at home. Josh was stuck at my mom's house, babysitting my sister, and he decided to start playing WoW after a long break. When I came back, he showed it to me, and I thought it was ridiculous. I had played The Sims quite a bit, but that was really the only computer game I had ever been into. The only video game, for that matter. I had an N64, but I just really wasn't a video game kind of girl. He kept trying to get me to play WoW. He even made a character for me on his account, which he named Nyckole - after me. It was a warlock because he figured that's what I would like. But I didn't. I wanted nothing to do with the stupid game. I wouldn't even go near him if he was playing it, and it caused A LOT of fights. In fact, it almost ended our relationship.

Then I went home for Christmas break. I decided it might be a cool way for us to "hang out" since I was going to be away from him for a month, and I had Karli there to show me the ropes. Yes, I learned how to play from a 9 year old. Originally I made an undead because I thought horde were way cooler than alliance, but then Karli told me I wouldn't be able to talk to him if I did that, so I made a human warlock. I named her Loihi. Although I knew nothing about warlocks and their magic at the time, the name fits perfectly because Loihi is the name of a volcano in Hawaii.

After playing with Josh and Waffle on Scarlet Crusade for almost a month, I was level 23. They opened up free server transfers to a new server - The Scryers. Although I hadn't been playing long, I didn't want to leave behind the friends I'd made, and Josh said he was only taking Vare - his warrior - to The Scryers. But he ended up taking all of his toons. And by the time I decided to follow him, free transfers were closed. There was no way I was going to spend $30 to transfer my character, so I started over. I made a new Loihi who looked exactly the same and pretended it never happened. hahaha. Luckily I got to 23 again pretty quickly, but unfortunately, I can't say that for the rest of my leveling.

When she hit the 60s in December 2007 (yes, that's right, a YEAR later...) I decided it was time to find a decent guild. I had one in mind. In fact, I'd had it in mind for months. KoT. Back when I was in my 30s and running SM, I came across a shaman named Snowy. He healed for us, and we ran with him several times. He was in KoT. I honestly couldn't tell you why, as it's been so long, but I really looked up to him for some reason, and I wanted to be in his guild. So I applied. Unfortunately, it was around the holidays, and everyone was super busy, so it took them awhile to get back to me. In that time, I was sitting in Stormwind unguilded when a hunter named Talcon asked me to join his guild, Shinra. I did because I always feel bad declining guild invites when I don't have a good reason. I intended to leave if I got accepted to KoT. But the guys in Shinra...they were just so much fun. We would all get drunk and stay up all night doing random shit, talking in vent, laughing till we cried. It was a blast, and when KoT finally got back to me, I had to decline. I honestly wouldn't go back and change it if I could because my time in Shinra was some of the most fun I've had in the game, and we've even had the privilege of meeting two of our guildies in real life.

Shinra broke up. It was a long time coming. Most of them were real life friends, and they were in high school. Too much drama makes for an unstable guild. When they were done, several of us went to Veritas. We hated it. Josh and I went to Intoxicated, but Josh takes things personally and decided he needed to leave because one person was a dick. Of course, I was right behind him, even though that had been the best guild we'd been in to date. Then we joined Eve of Destruction. It was great in the beginning, until they started handing out loot to officer alts over other people's mains, regardless of the rolls (and they didn't use Dkp.) Josh ended up getting himself kicked out because he stood up for himself when he lost out on a pretty significant piece of gear. In fact, it was so bad, they added a guild rule that anyone who associated with Vare in any way would get an automatic gkick. I think that's quite an accomplishment, personally. Then we went to Phoenix Vindicators - Nia's guild. Nia had been a very close friend, but it was clear that we were stepping on toes when we joined his guild, so we respectfully left and started our own guild. It went pretty well for awhile. We had Kara pretty much on farm, but people started quitting, and we gave up. So I think in August 2008, I spoke to Merc, the leader of KoT, and I got myself an invite. I finally got to raid for realz... I did Hyjal and SSC with them. And we did a little Black Temple after the nerf. I loved it. Josh got Nyckole in the guild shortly after I joined, and things were great. Then WotLK came out, and like I said, I leveled my shaman first.

Once Loihi hit 80, I don't really remember what happened. There were several people in the guild who were pissing me off to the point that I couldn't tolerate it anymore. Because of this, I guess I didn't want to raid with them. It got to the point where I was playing alts because these people made me uncomfortable every time I logged on. Ultimately, Josh and I decided it was time to go. We loved KoT very much, but it no longer felt like home, and we had to find something new. We had been leveling with the leader of Shadow Titans, and he invited us to his guild. We raided Naxx with them maybe once or twice and saw how their loot worked. It was even more unfair than EoD's loot, so we left. And then we gave up on The Scryers all together.

In December 2009, Todd (one of our friends from Shinra) faction changed one of his characters. I decided to faction change Loihi, and Josh faction changed his warrior, whose name at the time was Art. We played them for about a week, and then we went back to the alliance side and left our babies behind on the horde side. After a couple months, we brought them back to the alliance, and we joined Axis. I was in a wave-making mood pretty much the entire time we were in that guild, and this time, I was the one to get us kicked out. I had never wanted to join in the first place. I didn't like Tanlan (the leader) and I wanted nothing to do with his guild. But Josh was good friends with him, and I had nowhere else to be, so I joined. After I got kicked out, I played Loihi sporadically and still do. The dps queue time kills me. All of my other toons can be tanks or healers, so they get all the love because they can get instant queues. But she's still my baby. She's got the most mounts and vanity pets, and she will forever be my favorite.

She somehow managed to get her t9, and here she is today:



And here she is at the end of BC with a bad haircut:

No comments:

Post a Comment